About this Show

CNN Saturday Morning

News News/Business. News, sports, weather and entertainment news. New.

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:30:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 19, Florida 16, Randi 11, Paul Ryan 7, Romney 7, Obama 7, New York 6, Garth 5, Lance Armstrong 4, Joe Biden 4, Chantix 4, California 4, Ryan 3, Los Angeles 3, Pakistan 3, Jack Kennedy 3, Flexpen 3, Paul 3, Robert Zimmerman 2, William Koch 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    CNN Saturday Morning    News  News/Business. News, sports,  
   weather and entertainment news. New.  

    October 13, 2012
    5:00 - 6:30am PDT  

5:00am
>> we have much more on "cnn this morning" which starts right this morning" which starts right now. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com 5:00 out westwe start streets of los angeles and you can see here that t space shuttle "endeavour" has been making its way through the streets of l.a. for most of the morning. it is quite a site. imagine thisle roing down your street. "endeavour" is being moved to the california science center where it is on permanent display. the trip should take until midnight tonight. >> and a former ranked cyclist lance armstrong is now speaking out against him. lance armstrong won the tour de france for seven years. and one of his ten former teammates testified to the u.s. anti-doping agency that armstrong had dope.
5:01am
they released the damaging report this week saying that it had uncovered overwhelming evidence of armstrong's illegal drug use. hamilton told anderson cooper there is no question that the teammates doped for the big races. >> the first time i blood doped was with lance and basically for lance basically. i had blood doped myself. it was done by the team but it was done for the tour de france so i could be a good teammate for lance armstrong. yeah, a lot of it, you know, he wanted you to be riding at your best when in the biggest races, and for lance, it was all about winning the tour de france. >> armstrong has always denied doping and his attorney calls the report a witch hunt. >> in denver, police are looking at a shooting aimed at the obama headquarters there, and checking surveillance videotapes for clues. right now a vehicle of interest and no motive or suspect. it was a single shot and there
5:02am
were people inside of the office, but luckily, nobody was injured. now no the campaign, the candidates are splitting their focus between campaign stops and debate preps. cnn political editor pl steinhauser is in washington this morning. paul, good morning to you. what is the schedule today? i'm sure it is a busy one. >> it is for mitt romney, he is spending a second day in ohio and with with 18 electoral votes up for grabs. he was speaking with his running mate last night. paul ryan today will have a separate event in ohio. and tonight, romney goes home and goes under lock to get ready for the second presidential debate and the same for president obama, randi. because he is going to williamsburg, virginia, but he is not going there to campaign in the crucial state, but he is doing basically debate prep between now and tuesday. here is the thing about
5:03am
tuesday's debate, because it is different from the presidential debate, and that was a week and a half ago in denver. this is a town hall for mamat a different feel from the questions of the audience, and the monitor is our own candy crowley and a lot at stake coming up on tuesday night at hofstra university in new york. randi? >> yes, a whole different energy as well, which the candidates will feed off of with the town hall feel, but we are going to be talking a little bit about florida later on in the show this morning, paul. certainly one of the big swing states. do you have any new numbers on the race by the way? >> i do. this is the cnn poll of polls. we took the three polls that were conducted after that first presidential debate in florida and among the likely voters if you average them together, you can see mitt romney with a slight ed a vadvantage of 49% a supporting the president. it is kind of the opposite before the first debate with the president with the slight advantage and it is close in flori
5:04am
florida. true in the polls of florida and other places, it seems that mitt romney has gotten a boost from the first debate and that is why this second debate is so important. and in florida just like ohio and virginia two other battleground states, you are seeing the visits from the candidates and so much money spent on ads. randi? >> interesting stuff to watch the polls go up and down and all around. paul steinhauser, thank you and nice to see you. another big story this week, the drug facility at the center of the fungal meningitis deaths are the same one that is implicated ten years ago. it is curious if the current outbreak could have been prevented. brian todd has the report. >> reporter: it is alleged that the deaths are caused by the same drug compounds agency that was caused in 2004.
5:05am
william koch was given a drug that was made by necc which is identified in the papers as new england compounding pharmacy, and the suit seeking $2.5 million from the company says that the dep med roll that he received was contaminate and that he got bacterial meningitis from it, and koch passed a wawan 204. we don't know if it is connected, but still there are some questions about the necc practices. >> it raises questions. >> reporter: steven hoy is a professor of compounding drugs at the maryland university of pharmacy. he says that pharmacies are to work with doctors to make drugs for individual patients, but some compounding makers like necc crossed over. >> when they do tens of thousands of units they have
5:06am
crossed over from an individual pharmacist and patient to manufacturing where they are distributing that widely to all of these different states. >> reporter: at this point he says that the facilities are to be regulated by the fda, but necc never got approval to manufacture those drugs which provoked some important questions. after william koch's death, couldn't regulators have stepped in to stop it and if they had done that, could the deaths in the current meningitis outbreak have been prevented, including the one here in maryland? fda officials say they have been fighting to change that. and the health department in massachusetts tells us that after complaints of injections received on the same day that koch got his shot, the fda and the industry did a joint investigation, and it is not clear if they were made aware of
5:07am
koch's individual case. they did not shut down the company, but they say that after an investigation of three years they gave necc a list of things to fix. and p put the company on probation for a year, but suspended the probation, he says, because the company did fix the problems. hoag's view, it never should have gone that way. could it have been prevented? >> they should have stuck to the original business of compounding and not crossed the line. >> reporter: we could not get a necc representative to comment on that. when asked about the koch case, they refused to comment citing confidentiality reasons. brian todd. we have much more ahead this hou hour. >> here is a look at what is coming up. playing politics with voter i.d.s and both parties are fighting it out in battleground states about who gets to vote and how. all morning with we are putting the voter i.d. laws in focus.
5:08am
gang member or home grown terrorist. that is the question in one case. legal editor paul callan breaks it down. >> that is a bunk of malarky. >> debate politics and the eu has a nobel peace prize. we will look at the week that was. turn an entrepreneur's drea. ♪ into a scooter that talks to the cloud? whatever your business challenge, dell has the technology and services to help you solve it.
5:09am
thor's couture gets the most rewards of any small business credit card. your boa! [ garth ] thor's small business earns double miles on every purchase, every day! ahh, the new fabrics, put it on my spark card. [ garth ] why settle for less? the spiked heels are working. wait! [ garth ] great businesses deserve the most rewards! [ male announcer ] the spark business card from capital one. choose unlimited rewards with double miles or 2% cash back on every purchase, every day! what's in your wallet? [ cheers and applause ] see life in the best light. [music] transitions® lenses automatically filter just the right amount of light. so you see everything the way it's meant to be seen. experience life well lit, ask for transitions adaptive lenses.
5:10am
a short word that's a tall order. up your game. up the ante. and if you stumble, you get back up. up isn't easy, and we ought to know. we're in the business of up. everyday delta flies a quarter of million people while investing billions improving everything from booking to baggage claim. we're raising the bar on flying and tomorrow we will up it yet again.
5:11am
welcome back. 11 minutes past the hour now and there are 24 days left until election day, but still some confusion over the actual process. new voter i.d. laws in several states have changed the rules while other states have seen their laws knocked down or delayed by the courts, so we are focusing on the voter i.d. laws this morning and right now we are focusing on florida. joining me now is florida conservative talk show host bernie thompson and i wanted to ask you -- good morning to you
5:12am
first of all. >> good morning. >> i will ask you about the tougher voter i.d. laws and i know i will get a snarky response for you, and are they necessary? >> not snarky, but cheery. i came to bring you good news. here is the deal, early voter began in 2004 and now voters can vote early, absentee or on the day, and so they shortened the days but extended the hours. so now instead of not being able to vote until 5:00, we could vote until 9:00 up to 10:00, so in many ways now all voters have a greater chance to go cast the vote early, because the polls are opener later. >> that is the most positive spin on it. >> that is the truth. and people are excited and especially military members and today is the navy's birthday, and happy birthday to the navy, but a lot of the folks in
5:13am
florida who are in military are excited because they can cast the vote after work. it gives us more opportunities to work the vote. >> and a lot of people say that a couple of dozen cases of fraud may happen, but you are putting thousands of votes at risk and thousands of people left out of the process, and what is the explanation of that? >> i don't know who could be left out of the process. >> those who do not vote. >> who? >> if they don't have the proper i.d. >> i up with time did not have the proper information, because i had just moved, and i provided the proper i.d. and it applied to me. so two things that an american must do serve on the jury duty and vote. the only thing that my liberal problems have a problem with showing the i.d. for is to vote. we should show that we are who we are are when we go the cast the vote. i don't see a problem with that. >> you have said that the new
5:14am
voter i.d. laws could help african-americans which is interesting, because the democrats are very concerned that these new voter i.d. laws will leave african-americans and latinos and many minorities out of the process. >> well, democrats will say one thing and republicans will say another and common sense ought to prevail . if there are more hours in the day to vote, and if it is tuesday and we know that early voting ends by saturday, we are responsible enough to go cast the vote. this is nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with responsibility, and i can assure you that black floridians and black americans are resourciful enough and smart enough and not befuddled. they can get a i.d. and we can all go vote. we know the rules and we are all responsible enough to go cast the vote. >> let me get back to the early voting issue, because it rt starred october 27th, and will start in october 27th in most counties, be but people won't vote on the last sunday before
5:15am
the election and we talked about this earlier actually on the program with reverend richard dunn, and i want you to hear what he said. >> it is a diversion their tact tactic and demonic tactic used to suppress the voter turnout. >> those are strong words. >> yes, and i agree with the first adjective, it is diversion nary, because if the reverend and i know it is tuesday and we have to close saturday, we are all responsible enough to cast our vote and be counted. >> why get rid of the sunday? >> well, the reason that the legislature said was to gear up for the actual voting day. i don't know the answer to that. i don't know the motives, but i can tell you that it is not going to stop anybody who is determined to vote to vote. we have three ways to vote, absentee, and early and on november 6th. and floridians who care, will go cast their vote. >> 24 days left, and hard to
5:16am
believe until the election. there is a new poll i want to share with you and the viewers showing romney ahead in florida and you see it there, 51% to 44%. >> amazing. >> and why do you think that is and is this what you expected? >> i did not expect it quite like this. did not expect president obama to fumble. and he did fumble. it is not that mitt romney did so well, but it is that barack obama our president fumbled. tuesday i expect president obama to come out gang busters in a different format and do well. here is the important thing in last time in florida 24% of the voters are not democrat or republic republican, but independent. independents are paying attention and they care about reality and not rhetoric. the economy means a lot to them, and they are leaning toward mitt romney for one reason, he does not scare the independents, and he is not the right wing con ser
5:17am
vative of newt gingrich or rick santorum, but considered a moderate. that 24% in florida are the most important voters in the united states. >> well, he is sounding more moderate as he moves to the center these days. >> he does. >> i am glad you agree with me. >> and i'm glad i cheered you up on the voter situation. >> thank you for coming in from florida this morning. we appreciate it. thank you. we will have much more on the voter controversy coming up at the 10:00 hour this morning. will these voters be the determining factor in key states? and refugees leaving cuba capsize off of the florida coast. a search for survivors. and it is something that you might see in a sci-fi film or like me, horror movie. researchers are trying to turn cockroaches into a useful tool. it is today's start small and think big. >> reporter: they thrive in the dark. they can hide anywhere and are
5:18am
unwelcomed site to most. but this lab at north carolina state university is trying to cast cockroaches in a new light. >> if i say it did not gross me out a little, i would be lying. >> reporter: the professor and his students are taking control of the fear and the roaches, literally. they are attaching tiny electronic backpacks to the roaches that stimulate the antennas with the signals to make them turn left and right depending where the signal is sent to, and almost like a remote control car. >> the point is to get up to a system where there is very consistent control of the inspect. >> it would be what we plan to achieve is to use the cockroaches with the backpacks for missions like looking for survivors and victims, and those missions. >> reporter: amazingly the hope is to attach very little tiny
5:19am
backpacks to them and look inside. >> they have a benefit to get into tiny spaces and they are resilient. if they are trapped in a corner, that i can run away, and if there is a danger, that i can run away. >> a face that might be a welcomed sight in the future. bob... oh, hey alex. just picking up some, brochures, posters copies of my acceptance speech. great! it's always good to have a backup plan, in case i get hit by a meteor. wow, your hair looks great. didn't realize they did photoshop here. hey, good call on those mugs. can't let 'em see what you're drinking. you know, i'm glad we're both running a nice, clean race. no need to get nasty. here's your "honk if you had an affair with taylor" yard sign. looks good. [ male announcer ] fedex office. now save 50% on banners. a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms.
5:20am
but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion. because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. celebrex can be taken with or without food. and it's not a narcotic. you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen, and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high blood pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, including celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers.
5:21am
do not take celebrex if you've had an asthma attack, hives, or other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion.
5:22am
visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. then don't miss sleep train's wbest rest event.st ever? you'll find sleep train's very best mattresses at the guaranteed lowest price. plus, pay no interest for 3 years on beautyrest black, stearns & foster, serta icomfort, even tempur-pedic. and rest even better with sleep train's risk-free 100-day money back guarantee. get your best rest ever from sleep train. superior service, best selection, lowest price, guaranteed. ♪ sleep train ♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪ ten refugees from cuba are fortunate to be alive because their raft capsized off of the coast of cancun. at least two people drown and 11 are missing.
5:23am
one man and two women survived a and they are in custody. this yucatan peninsula has become a popular site for refugees, because it isnot as heavily patrolled. >> pro and anti-government sup potters fought in the streets. remember that horse and camel riders crashed into the streets to protest in the arab spring in tahrir square. and now two of them have been acquitted, and that has en aged protesters. and now in turkey, they are diverting the civilian airplanes from syrian air space, because turkish jets forced a syrian airliner to land in the capital and searched it for weapons. the joint league envoy is due in turkey to calm the tensions or at least try. months ago, a brave
5:24am
pakistani teen told cnn that she has the right to an education. the right to sing and the right to speak out. well, now, 14-year-old malala is clinging to life on her hospital ventilator as gunmen shot her when she went to school last week. what happened to her has ignited shock and grief and outrage across pakistan and the world. cnn's reza sayah joins me. this is an amazing story that has not only impacted the people in pakistan and you see the pictures of the children with the photos and the candles and the thoughts all over the world for this girl. can you give me the latest on this condition and what the doctors are saying? >> yeah, vicr. we just got back from an interview with a top government official who is monitoring the emergency care. he says that mallala is in crit ka condition and some might say she is in critical condition for four days now, and that not
5:25am
good. do doctors say that is not unusual, because she was shot in the head, and she had brain surgery and swell manage the brain and swelling is always a concern after brain surgery, and swelling is serious because of the swelling in the encased skull. they say the important vitales are looking good like blood p s pressure and pulse, but they are looking optimistic, but they say she is in danger, vicker to. >> the first concern is her well-being and recovery and the second concern is finding the people who did this. what can you tell us about any arrests made in this investigation. >> yeah. we are getting some conflicts accounts from government officials who i get the sense are feeling the pressure to apprehend the culprits. this morning a police chief in a district about 100 miles south of where she was shot said that they have three suspects in custody. it is not clear how they were linked to this particular
5:26am
incident, but again, the government is under a lot of pressure to apprehend people. of course, this is a young lady who inspired a lot of people. just a remarkable young woman and the best way to understand why she inspired much of pakistan is to imis pli listen to her speak. late last year we had a chance to sit down the talk talk with her and here is a portion of the interview. >> i would like to build so many schools in this country, because education is the must thing. if you don't have education, people for the tall ban come to your area, but if you have education, they will not come in your area. >> just a remarkable girl. she was half child and half ferocious human rights activist who would not back down to any of the questions we put to her, victor. >> and in islamabad, she said she had the right to sing, the right to speak out and the right
5:27am
to an education. and michael bloomberg's latest attempt to fight obesity in new york city may wind up going down the drain, and we will tell you why. and if you stumble, you get back up. up isn't easy, and we ought to know. we're in the business of up. everyday delta flies a quarter of million people while investing billions improving everything from booking to baggage claim. we're raising the bar on flying and tomorrow we will up it yet again. [ feedback ] attention, well, everyone. you can now try snapshot from progressive free for 30 days.
5:28am
just plug this into your car, and your good driving can save you up to 30%. you could even try it without switching your insurance. why not give it a shot? carry on. now you can test-drive snapshot before you switch. visit progressive.com today. when the doctor told me that i could smoke for the first week... i'm like...yeah, ok... little did i know that one week later i wasn't smoking. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke. some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems,
5:29am
tell your doctor if you have new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. it helps to have people around you... they say, you're much bigger than this. and you are. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. on gasoline. i am probably going to the gas station about once a month. last time i was at a gas station was about...i would say... two months ago. i very rarely put gas in my chevy volt. i go to the gas station such a small amount that i forget how to put gas in my car. [ male announcer ] and it's not just these owns giving the volt high praise. volt received the j.d. power and associates appeal award two years in a row.
5:30am
♪ with odor free aspercreme. powerful medicine relieves pain fast, with no odor. so all you notice is relief. aspercreme. bottom of the hour now, and welcome back, everyone. i'm randi kaye. >> i'm victor blackwell and thank you for staying with us this morning. here are five stories we are watching this morning. >> with the second presidential debate a few days away, mitt romney will be preparing but not until after he and paul ryan stop in keystone state of ohio. and paul ryan will be in youngstown and both are hoping to capitalize from the momentum of the first presidential debate.
5:31am
speaking of momentum and check out the new cnn poll of polls, and you can see that mitt romney has a two-point lead over president obama this the national poll, but as far as in ohio where the president holds a three-point lead there now. >> 12 miles, 2 days at 2 miles per hour, and that pretty much sums up the space shuttle "endeavour's" final journey. it is inching along through the street s of los angeles to its home at the california science center. once there, it will go on display on october 30th. h shocking allegations for a zumba instructor who is accused of running a prostitution ring in kennebunk, maine. they say that alexis wright had sek with dozens of men with her business partner, and she faces hundreds of counts of prostitution charges and both wright and her business partner have pleaded not guilty. michael bloomberg's ban on
5:32am
the large sugary drinks may be in a super sized legal battle. many are suing to stop the ban from taking effect in march. they cite that only the city council has the power to impose a ban and they argue that the law infringes on personal freedom and unfairly targets certain businesses. in georgia, the body of a florida journalist who went missing in august was found encased in concrete, buried in a backyard. ip ve investigators used dental records and ct scans to identify him. he was a writer at the pensacola journal. two brothers are charged with his murder. in denver, police are investigating a shoot agent the obama campaign headquarters there. we spoke to our affiliate about the police investigation and
5:33am
what the police are focusing on this morning? >> the focus is fshifting to wh shot that window out. there was one shot fired at the obama field office in denver yesterday. that office is near ninth avenue and tacoma street and to give you an idea, south end of downtown denver. now, the police are telling us that question you asked that they do have a description of a possible vehicle of interest. they are talking about a vehicle only, but they have not released any information to us just yet. we put a call in to get to the public information officer, and we have not heard back, but the detectives say they are reviewing any available video footage of the incident and pursuing the leads, but they have not released a vehicle description or suspect description or any video at this time. now, we did hear from the obama campaign spokesperson who declined to comment on the incident, and of course, the diverted it back to the police,
5:34am
the denver police, and we are also hearing reports this morning that the secret service also diverted the questions to denver police. so they have really heard of any threats against the obama headquarters at this time and the incident as we are talking happened at 3:00 in the after noon on a friday afternoon, yesterday, and one shot fired into the structure. people were inside of the office when the shooting happened, and luckily nobody was hurt and by early evening they had replaced that window and it is all back the normal, but again, this morning, that what we are waiting for this weekend and our denver police going to release the vehicle description, perhaps some surveillance footage of that area there. so, of course, we will keep you posted as we learn more. >> president obama says he was too polite in the first debate and mitt romney walks into and out of another contradiction and the two number twos go at it. here is a quick look back at the busy week that was. >> there are not enough rich
5:35am
people and small businesses to tax to pay for all of their spending. >> with all due respect, that is a bunch of malarky. >> well, what i am saying is that what words that came out were not what i meant. >> wow. here's old moderate mitt. >> with more assets and more resources than we could have and should have saved the life of ambassador stevens. >> it is true that you voted to cut the funding for the security of the em bbassy? >> absolutely. >> and the vp showdown and that took the cake. of course, with the zingers. >> the vice president very well knows that the words don't come out of your mouth the right way. >> oh, now you are ronald reagan. >> now you are jack kennedy. >> this is a bunch of stuff. look, here is the deal -- >> what does that mean a bunch of stuff? >> simply inaccurate. >> it is is irish. >> and as for the first debate --
5:36am
>> it is fair to say i was too polite. >> not an issue with these guys. >> it then turned into a sparring and it was very, very personal. >> personal and partisan. >> you have to be kidding me. >> and in fact, the congressional hearing on the attack in benghazi was downright testy. >> it was a terrorist attack on an asset in libya and never exposed. >> i certainly hope that today's hearing is not going to be received for political purposes only 24 days from the election. >> yeah, about the election, thele pos have been good to romney this week, and the contradictions, that is another story. >> there is no legislation with regards to abortion that i'm familiar with that would become part of my agenda. >> wow. here is old moderate, mitt. where you been, boy? i missed you all of these three days. >> a day later he clarified that. >> the fact is that i do not plan to remove fu-- i do plan t
5:37am
funding for planned parenthood as part of the funding. >> and he, the soviet union got a nobel peace prize. that is the week that was. >> was it violence or terrorism? the fate of a new york man hangs in the balance. >> reporter: what if i told you that some of the best tacos you will find are not only in dallas, texas, but they are hidden in gas station, fuel city. you are not going the find this place in some fancy photo vaed with the dallas chamber of commerce, because it is off of the beaten path, and you to drive past some bail bondsmen, and a couple of strip joints even, but it is worth the drive.
5:38am
all right. i take you insooide where the magic is made. como esta, senoritas. so check it out, beef, chicken, andpork, and barbacoa,and onions. delicio delicious. this is like texas on steroids, because there are not many car washes that you can look at real longhorns and donkeys and windmills, because it is like texas over the top really. one of my favorite parts of this thing, it is open 24 hours and they have breakfast tacos and you can come here any time and it is $1.40 for a taco. time to order. i'm ordering for everybody. feast for everybody to enjoy.
5:39am
heaven. it is all good. beautiful. >> gracias. may i can help you? >> now, after you have enjoyed your tacos and you are full, take a moment and feel sorry for the poor animals who don't get to enjoy them. [ male announcer ] this is sheldon, whose long dy setting up the news starts with arthritis pain and a choice. take tylenol or take aleve,
5:40am
the #1 recommended pain reliever by orthopedic doctors. just two aleve can keep pain away all day. back to the news. your doctor will say get smart about your weight. i tried weight loss plans... but their shakes aren't always made for people with diabetes. that's why there's glucerna hunger smart shakes. they have carb steady, with carbs that digest slowly to help minimize blood sugar spikes. and they have six grams of sugars. with fifteen grams of protein to help manage hunger... look who's getting smart about her weight. [ male announcer ] glucerna hunger smart. a smart way to help manage hunger and diabetes.
5:41am
5:42am
welcome back. 42 minute past the hour. my next guest is a perfectly healthy 29-year-old woman. she is a wife and a mother of two, and we are actually going the speak to her in a little bit, but first, i wanted to talk
5:43am
with our legal expert on a completely different issue. once we get ourselves together here. it was late august in 2002 when a shootout occurred between rival gangs in a new york city suburb killing a 10-year-old girl and paralyzing a man who were both caught in the crossfire. edgar morales is convicted of manslaughter and murder for pulling a trigger and sentenced to 40 years to life in prison, but in addition to the charges he was also prosecuted under the state's new anti-terrorism law created after the 9/11 attacks. so is he a home grown terrorist as the prosecutor contends or is the charge unwarranted for his case? that is what an appeals course will consider next month. should the terror charges be dropped? we will bring in paul callahan, our legal contributor. good morning. >> good morning. >> the goal of gang violence is
5:44am
to establish street credentials as the toughest gang this the neighborhood designed to intimidate a civilian population and therefore, he says that is terrorism, and is that a stretch, and would the judges buy that argument? >> well, he makes a strong case, because he just relies on the wording of the statute. you know this statute was enacted six weeks after 9/11 and new york like a lot of other states looked at the laws and said, we don't have anything that deals with terrorism, and we need a terrosm statute in fear that the fedsaybe would not have the manpower to prosecute. so the wording of the statute says basically, if you use violence to intimidate or coerce a civilian population, that's terrorism. the bronx district attorney said, well, this is a mexican gang and what they do is to kill and use violence to intimidate local business people to get money out of them and to put them in fear, so technically the statute applies and that is the
5:45am
argument they made in front of judges, but you know something, the judges so far have said that it is a stretch. it is not intended for that purpose. >> and in addition to terrorism, morales was sentenced from 40 years to life for murder, attempted murder, weapons possession as well as conspiracy. if the terrorism charges are dropped, i mean, how much of a reduction do you think that we could be talking about here? >> well, you could be talking about a huge reduction here, and this is a shooting that took place at a church celebration in the aftermath of a christening, and it was a terrible case. a young girl was killed and another gang member was paralyzed and he gets 40 to life under this sentence. if the terrorism of it was thrown out, he might have less than half of that amount of time in jail, so that the terrorism thing can have the effect of almost doubling the sentence where you are charged with manslaughter or attempted murder, and it is a very, very serious bump in the sentence if you are found to be a terrorist. >> if you look at it under this law, wouldn't that make every
5:46am
gang member a terrorist? >> not only would it make every gang member a terrorist, but you could argument that maybe every criminal is a terrorist of sorts because when you think of somebody going into the subway tor bus and pulls out a gun and robs people, they are trying to put civilians in fear. and to intimidate and coerce them. well, it is kind of an example of unintended consequences when the legislators try to do the right thing water errorism law, but unless you are careful of the way you hand the law, you are handing the prosecutor a new weapon and he will use it against the bad guys, and the judges are here to sort it out and say, is that really what they intended. in new york, the answer is going to be no. this was not intended for this kind of crime and i suspect, that it is going to be the new york court of appeals, i think, randi, will throw it out and reduce the charges against morel raless. >> so he will be resentenced it
5:47am
sounds like in your opinion? >> well, he might be resentence and the lawyers came up with a good argument saying that the prosecutor was calling him a terrorist throughout the trial, and the judge opened in picking the jury by referring to 9/11 so that the lawyer is saying that the jury was so focused on being a terrorist that on that point the trial should be thrown out and he should be granted a new trial based on the misuse of this statute. >> nice to see you, paul. >> thank you, randi. growing epidemic of the troops and both men and women are victims. one soldier joins me next to tell me how he suffered the ultimate betrayal by his superior.
5:48am
it's hard to see opportunity in today's challenging environment. unless you have the right perspective. bny mellon wealth management has the vision and experience to look beyond the obvious. we'll uncover opportunities, find hidden risk,
5:49am
and make success a reality. bny mellon wealth management i had[ designer ]eeling enough of just covering up my moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. i decided enough is enough. ♪ [ spa lady ] i started enbrel. it's clinically proven to provide clearer skin. [ rv guy ] enbrel may not work for everyone -- and may not clear you completely, but for many, it gets skin clearer fast, within 2 months, and keeps it clearer up to 9 months. [ male announcer ] because enbrel®, etanercept, suppresses your immune system, it may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal, events including infections, tuberculosis, lymphoma, other cancers, and nervous system and blood disorders have occurred. before starting enbrel, your doctor should test you for tuberculosis and discuss whether you've been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. don't start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. tell your doctor if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores, have had hepatitis b,
5:50am
have been treated for heart failure, or if, while on enbrel, you experience persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or paleness. if you've had enough, ask your dermatologist about enbrel. one is for a clean, wedomestic energy future that puts us in control. our abundant natural gas is already saving us money, producing cleaner electricity, putting us to work here in america and supporting wind and solar. though all energy development comes with some risk, we're committed to safely and responsibly producing natural gas. it's not a dream. america's natural gas... putting us in control of our energy future, now. 3 x ,192 is the number of session yule assaults reor theed
5:51am
in the military in the last year. it has skyrocketed in the last ten years and by the pentagon's own estimates more like 19,000 assaults last year, but most went unreported and unpunished. in case you are wondering women are not the only ones at risk and men, both gay and straight, make up 12% of all reported victims. former army cadet nicole and susan are joining me now. nicole, i would like the start with you because you along with 18 men and women have filed a lawsuit against former and current member s of the militar including leon panetta, and donald rumsfeld, because you say you were raped and infected with hiv. and tell me if you can briefly what happened that night. >> those details are very personal to me. and i had -- >> i mean, where were you? >> basically i went over to have
5:52am
a beer with a buddy that was introduced to me through mutual friends. and unfortunately this person had an ulterior motive, and it led to some really awful consequences. >> and you say that the military has betrayed you. as a result of this. how so? >> well, for over nearly two years they ignored repeated pleas that i made to bring attention to this soldier who was actively and purposefully and intentionally infecting people in the community with hiv. >> and you, yourself, were infected, correct? >> yes, unfortunately, it is a very -- yeah. >> i am sorry to hear that. why didn't you report it right away after it happened? >> well, i did report it to, to
5:53am
the local police department actually. >> and did you report it to the military or higher up? >> i reported it. i told the public health services that the military has there on fort lewis. i told the central investigative division. i told dish ca-- called the headquarters there and i did everything that i possibly could and everything that i possibly could over a two-year period in order to make shure that my assailant could not do this to anybody else. >> how did you feel about the response that you got from the military? >> well, i felt that they -- they felt -- i can't say what they felt, but my feeling of what happened is that they felt it was easier the sweep the matter under the rug. that they were not comfortable
5:54am
with the fact that it was a gay man involved and that it was one of their staff sergeants that had done this, and you know, it's -- it was just, they just ignored it. >> i want the bring in susan to explain for us how bad is the problem of rape and assault this the military as bad as the 19,000 cases estimated by the pentagon? >> it is. and the problem is that the military has a huge embedded sexual predation problem, because they have a decades' long history of ignoring the issue. all know those of us old enough to remember will h remember tail hooke in 1991. you had the aberdeen proving grounds in 1996 and then the air force academy so from time to time the media will focus on it. the de the department of dense will wring the hands and say, oh,
5:55am
yes, we have a problem, but then when the media stops paying attention, nothing has been done. no structural reforks, and it is the structure and the way in which they have people report that is the problem. they allow the chain of command, and now that sounds like a hierarchy and sounds like that is a lot of people, but what you are actually talking about is empowering one human being, one individual to unilaterally shut down the investigation and prosecution of rape. because of that structure, there is a series underprosecution. you know, only a fraction and less than 10% ever get prosecuted an convicted, and of that, far less are actually convicted of rape and they reduce the charges to things like adultery. >> and susan, we did reach out to the department of defense and we were told that secretary panetta has repeatedly stated that there is no place for sexual assault at the military tor department of defense, and sexual assault is an affront to bay sick human values and it is
5:56am
a crime that hurts the survivors and the friends and the families and the unit, and in turn, sexual assault reduce overall military readiness. i'm curious, because we have been told of course that they are taking the steps to fight the problem, i with include all sorts of things, including establishing a special victims' unit, but is all of this enough, to you think? >> no, sadly. i don't question secretary panetta's good faith, and i'm sure he is appalled like i am when you look at the issue, but what is happening is the same thing in the past. they have not tackled the core issue, the structure. so we as americans are all sbited to an impartial ajudicatory process, but the men and women like kole who are brave enough to defend us don't get that. they get a system that is slanted. >> kole, i want to ask you quickly, how are you and your partner doing, and what happened to the man who did this to you? >> well, too, we pursued
5:57am
criminal conviction, and he is now in prison. right before and just to show you how bad the issue is with the military, right before two years after the event happened, right before he was about to be sentenced, a reporter asked general officer spokesperson for the base, and they still denied his existence. >> well, now he has been removed, and as you said, he is serving time in prison. kole, thank you very much and i know it is difficult to talk about and i certainly appreciate your sharing the story with us, and giving this issue some attention. and susan, thank you to you, as well. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> we will be right back. ♪ at quicken loans, we won't make you wait for it. our efficient, online system allows us to get you through your home loan process fast. which means you'll never have to beg for a quick closing.
5:58am
one more way quicken loans is engineered to amaze. bonkers, look at me when i'm talking to you. with a vial and syringe. me, explaining what i was doing at breakfast. and me discovering novolog mix 70/30 flexpen. flexpen is pre-filled with your pre-mix insulin. dial the exact dose. inject by pushing a button. no vials, syringes or coolers to carry. flexpen is insulin delivery my way. novolog mix 70/30 is an insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults with diabetes. do not inject if you do not plan to eat within 15 minutes to avoid low blood sugar. tell your healthcare provider about all medicines you take and all of your medical conditions, including you are pregnant or breastfeeding. most common side effects include reactions at the injection site, weight gain, swelling of your hands and feet, and vision changes. other serious side effects include low blood sugar and low potassium in your blood. get medical help right away
5:59am
if you experience serious allergic reactions, body rash, ouble with breathing, fast heartbeat, sweating, or if you feel faint. i would have started flexpen sooner, but i thought it would cost more. turns out it's covered by my insurance plan. thanks to flexpen, vial and syringe are just a memory. ask your doctor about novolog mix 70/30 flexpen, covered by 90% of insurance plans, including medicare. find your co-pay at myflexpen.com.
6:00am
-- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com good morning, everyone. i i'm randi kaye. >> i'm victor blackwell.
6:01am
9:00 in the east and 6:00 a.m. out west and thank you for starting your day with us. >> los angeles is used to big stars, but the latest visitor is causing a huge stir. these are some live pictures here. no wonder it is the space shuttle "endeavour" right there on the streets of l.a. the shuttle is making the gravity bound way to the final destination which is the california science center. "endeavour" is expected to arrive at the center at midnight where it will go on display later on the month. it is cool to watch the journey. "endeavour" is only going two miles an hour and taking frequent stops and it will take a while here. officials want to make sure it reaches the final resting place in one piece. the death toll stands at 14 in the fungal meningitis outbreak. they say there are over 185 cases in 12 states and minnesota woman has filed the first lawsuit in the outbreak claiming bodily harm and emotional stress
6:02am
after being injected with a contaminated steroid. health official say they have tracked down 90% of the 16,000 people who may have received the injections. and the ban on sugary drinks in new york by mayor michael bloomberg may be in for a fight because a technicality saying that the city council can only impose the ban and it also imfringes on personal freedom and targets certain businesses. and a bachelor party and buds ended up on a rock near alka treez when their boat hit a rock. 22 people had to be rescued and here is what two of the passengers had to say. >> we were just hanging out and only on the boat for maybe like 20 minutes or so, and then all of the sudden, coming around alcatraz and checking et o ing d
6:03am
then, boom! a big jolt and the coast guard came in to help us back. >> and they said to put on the life vests and the captain was pegging it for pier 39, but you could tell it was going down and they were clearly saying it is taking on water. on the campaign trail, mitt romney has been on a roll since the first presidential debate, and check out the new cnn poll of polls. you can see that romney has a two-point lead over president obama in the national poll, and here's the story in ohio where president obama holds a three-point lead. romney will be in ohio todayle c campaigning. mitt romney is looking to capitalize on the momentum are the the first presidential debate. debate two is on thursday. >> but the v.p. debate is still a hot topic there at the campaigns. i was just checking it out. political correspondent jim acosta has more. >> reporter: randi and victor, the debate after the debate has not only been about joe biden's
6:04am
style, but the comments on li a libya. after breakfast after the fiery debate with joe biden, paul ryan still had the sunny side up. >> no. it is what i expected. >> reporter: ryan offered no complaints about biden's aggressive style which were designed to put points on the scoreboard whether it was requests for stimulus money or -- >> on two occasions we advocated for constituents applying forgrants. that is what we do -- >> reporter: and while ryan attempted to compare his plan with jack kennedy. >> oh, now you are jack kennedy? >>. >> reporter: and the vice president was also responded to by paul ryan.
6:05am
>> i know that you are under duress to get your points across. >> but as the vice president knows words don't always come out of your mouth the right way. >> and i was embarrassed for the vice president, because there were 82 times that joe biden interrupted paul ryan. >> reporter: but also on substance. declaring victory for the running mate, romney seized on what his campaign has been called the biden's benghazi bungle. >> because the vice president directly contradicted the sworn testimony of state department officials. he's doubling down on denial. and we need to understand exactly what happened. >> reporter: but back in the spin room, the obama campaign manager jim massena said it was ryan who was unprepared. >> he got past paul ryan's index talking points and into the details, and that is what the american voters wanted.
6:06am
>> reporter: and ryan will campaign in battleground state of ohio and the other half in debate prep. but most agree that the vice presidential debate may not have changed the polls, but it may have set a combative tone between romney and president obama on tuesday. randi and victor. the fiscal cliff hits at the end of the year, but even if congress aeddresses the tax break, there is one that is certain to affect everybody. we bring in christine romans. >> yes, it is 160 million and it is the payroll tax holiday and it is a couple of years and it is real money in the paycheck every week and it looks like this is going away. i am telling you and if you are a working american, your taxes are probably going up next year. you won't get that payroll tax holiday and always meant to be temporary and stimulus in the middle of the crisis to keep people's money this their
6:07am
paychecks, but you will feel it. listen. >> i'm a single mom, and i work and i work full time, and it, i think that i will definitely notice that i will have to budget differently, and definitely look at my spending more. and be a lot more wise in what i am using the money towards. >> so how much is this? well, randi, it is if you make $50,000 a year, it is about $1,000 more that you will pay in taxes that will go to the tax man. and what is that? what is that $1,000 over the year? well, it is basically like six lattes at starbucks a week. a week. or five gallons of regular unleaded gas or 15 dozen eggs or seven gallons of orange juice. but it means that less money this paychecks to spend and that is one little part of the complicated tax structure and all of the difficult questions that we have right now that is looking pretty certain. it is looking pretty certain that payroll tax holiday is going away. randi. >> and all of those things that you show there affects a whole lot of people.
6:08am
who is going to give up the starbucks or the eggs or the orange juice in these are important things. >> yes, and you have to dig a little deeper next year for sure. >> all right. christine, thank you very much. >> no photo, no vote. that is the law in lots of states, but it has not ended the debate. we are focusing on voter i.d.s this morning and we have both sides of the argument. i'm with sandra who just got these great glasses.
6:09am
you paid...wow. hmmm. let's see if walmart can help you find the same look for less. okay. see? walmart has all these leading eyewear brands and styles. rockstar! really? yeah. oh, wow! oh, black frame looks good on you. yeah? you can get a complete pair starting at just -- $38. really?! and did you know that our glasses come with a free 12-month replacement guarantee? i didn't know walmart had all this. the price is impressive, the quality is too! come to walmart and see for yourself. find quality eyewear brands starting at just $38. only at walmart. what are they fitting, aliens?
6:10am
only at walmart. why they're always there to talk. i love you, james. don't you love me? i'm a robot. i know. i know you're a robot! but there's more in you than just circuits and wires! uhhh. (cries) a machine can't give you what a person can. that's why ally has knowledgeable people there for you, night and day. ally bank. your money needs an ally. ♪
6:11am
(train horn) vo: wherever our trains go, the economy comes to life. norfolk southern. one line, infinite possibilities.
6:12am
welcome back. 11 minute past the hour, and we are putting voter i.d. laws this focus this morning. with only 24 days to go before the election and legislatures in several states have en acted ne election laws and they say it is to prevent voter fraud, but democrat sup porters say they are trying to suppress voters. >> reporter: what is the motive? >> it is to protect the process from mishap and mischief. >> reporter: where's the evidence? where's the fraud? >> well, it can happen at any place along the way. >> reporter: but where has it happened? >> we do know it happens. >> reporter: do you? >> of course we do. >> reporter: the florida secretary of state has referred 64 cases can of possible voter fraud out of over 11.7 million voters over a five-year period.
6:13am
>> we know fraudulent events that occur don't rise to significant to state attorneys to prosecute. >> yes, it is true that there is some voter fraud in the country, but i would say in the last 30 to 40 years the amount of fraud that takes place at all has gone way down, and there is no credible evidence that any kind of systemic problem of impersonation voter fraud. it is not a serious problem. >> can you spell acorn? look at the abuses across the country that went on, and we know that is probably only the surface. >> reporter: the now defunct a.c.o.r.n. registered millions of voters and a handful of the workers submitted phony plications partly because they did want and the do the work. but the research group did not want to identify any reported
6:14am
instances of individuals who were improperly registered by acorn attempting to vote at the polls. so do we have to lose a few voters in the process, and inference here is, yes, it is okay to lose a few voters this the process to secure safe elections? >> i think that as long as you are making it accessible to everyone. >> you are taking away inclusiveness? >> i am saying that if people somehow don't show the initiative to complete that opportunity, then that may be a risk factor in having a secure system. and you can see more are the joe johns on the voter i.d. issue on a cnn special "voters inamerica, who counts." you can catch it sunday night at 8:00 p.m. eastern time. for lots of people and maybe you, voting has already started. early voting started in 17 states and six more next week. joining me is democratic strategist robert zimmerman. and we are talking about the voter i.d.s -- >> good morning.
6:15am
>> good morning, sir. do you believe that the voter i.d. laws could turn the outcomes in florida and ohio and if so, how could the democrats compensate tor that? >> well, no question that the voter i.d. laws are driven to turn the tide in the swing states. when george w. bush was president, you never saw a movement for voter i.d. laws and maybe one or two states had to make a adjustment, but now that president obama is president, you have 11 states engaginengag. in texas and tennessee, people carry a concealed gun, that is a voter i.d., but if you have a student identification, that won't qualify as a voter i.d. let's not kid ourselves. >> and the democrats say it will hit their voters hard and how do the democrats compensate then. >> and the republicans say it is going the hit the democratic voters hard and legislative leaders in pennsylvania and wisconsin say it will help mitt
6:16am
romney, and the way to compensate this and overcome it is by voter education. and voter galvanizing, because it has to rise above the partisanship, because it is the essence of the democracy. we will stand up to this as we did in opposition to poll tax, and other devices to block people voting because of race or creed or color. >> robert, you are an expert in public relations, media strategies and basically an expert on how things look. so i want to ask you about the optics of the vice presidential debate and a lot of talk of that and the substance, and what do you believe that the voters took away from optics and the content of the vp debates? >> well, putting aside the topics, but nobody will win. and in fact, the gallup organization has been researching since 1896, and each party did their job. joe biden took my party out of
6:17am
group therapy as the result of the first debate and reenergizing and mobilizing the democrats to be activate and focused on what the issues are that divide us, and he derefined the election in terms of a choice. >> and now after the first performance of the president in denver and the first presidential debate, what would you tell president obama he needs to do tuesday. >> bring a pulse to the debate for openers, but what the president has to do is not to outline a vision for if few chour which he does well, but identify why this election is a choice. the stark difference of his position and putting it to mitt romney. in fact, i got advice from actor christopher noke, he says that we are getting half truths and a lie. but we are not getting half truths. and the actor has had more
6:18am
success than the president, so maybe he should take the advice. >> we are going to see a more aggressive president in the next debate, but talk about the money in the last three weeks because the president raised a phenomenal $181 million in september setting a new record by far and romney has not released the numbers just yet, but probably close. what would you say is the best way to spend that money in the next few weeks before the election? >> nothing beats direct voter contact. reaching the voters, and connecting with them on their issues. for example, many of us democrats going into florida and making clear the message that the romney/ryan plan ends mecare tor future retirees as the "wall street journal" reported or going into the key states like ohio and talking about how the automotive bailout under president obama's leadership saved the economy of that state and helped to rebuild it and many midwestern states,
6:19am
so it is using those resources to target individuals in the neighborhoods and knocking on doors the and phone banks, and we know that t plays a role, but connecting the issues with the voter. that is the challenge, and the real challenge for the democrats is to tack tor factor in the su money, because we will see $17 billion flood the system. we have to be on the ground and aggressive. >> we will see if the campaign takes your advice. thank you, robert zimmerman. >> thank you. and los angeles is saying hello to the newest star resident. the spaceship "endeavour" is rolling through tinsel town on the latest mission. find out where it is headed. we will have a live report straight ahead. ♪ into a high-tech masterpiece? whatever your business challenge, dell has the technology and services to help you solve it. whatever your business challenge, see life in the best light. [music] transitions® lenses automatically filter just the right amount of light.
6:20am
so you see everything the way it's meant to be seen. experience life well lit, ask for transitions adaptive lenses. a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion. because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. celebrex can be taken with or without food. and it's not a narcotic. you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen, and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high blood pressure
6:21am
or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, including celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. do not take celebrex if you've had an asthma attack, hives, or other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion.
6:22am
visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. then don't miss sleep train's wbest rest event.st ever? you'll find sleep train's very best mattresses at the guaranteed lowest price. plus, pay no interest for 3 years on beautyrest black, stearns & foster, serta icomfort, even tempur-pedic. and rest even better with sleep train's risk-free 100-day money back guarantee. get your best rest ever from sleep train. superior service, best selection, lowest price, guaranteed. ♪ sleep train ♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪
6:23am
>> the space shuttle "endeavour" has been on a lot of missions, and in fact, 25, but none of them are like the one that it is on right now, the retired shuttle rolling through the streets of los angeles to its final destination. and cnn's john zarrella has been tracking "endeavour's" final trek for us and he joins us life from los angeles. john, good morning to you and i know that you are loving this. tell us exactly where "endeavour" is headed. >> hey, randi. yeah, we are here right now at the old forum where the los angeles lakers used to play, and you can see behind me there that people have already started gathering and they expect perhaps 5,000 people to line manchester here as the shuttle goes by and it is not na far from us now, because it is halfway home, and it has gone five of the 12 miles it needs the go. i want to bring in jeff rudolph who is the ceo of the california science center who got this huge
6:24am
pri prize, it will rally, and the toughest part, you crossed the 405 last night which is the expressway and it is a tough go. >> we have been through the toughest part of the move, and we are just out of clearing the last of the high voltage lines and ahead of schedule and all is looking good. >> reporter: you have tight areas to go, right, the areas preserved and saved as many trees as you could, right? >> yes, we are coming into the area where there are mature trees and we worked hard to save them and we have actually less than 20% of the trees taken down and that means a lot of trees that will be tight maneuvers, inches on each side. >> so you have to keep your fingers tight because it is tight maneuvers later today. >> yes, the fingers are crossed, but it is the point that is the move crew doing this and they are really good and totally in control of everything, the equipment is great, and with we are past the stuff that relied
6:25am
of others. >> reporter: so this could not have gone more smoothly? >> yes, yesterday we expected large crowds b today, it should be larger crowds because of it being saturday. >> reporter: and randi, they had the big move last night to use the pickup truck to pull it across the 405 and now coming down manchester today, and here first the forum and then later at a local mall where there is going to be some more activities and then finally arriving this evening at the california science center for another big ceremony. i have seen a lot over the years, randi, with the space shuttles. i have seen them fly, land and sat inside of them, but i never in my wildest dreams expected that i would see a space shuttle going down the streets of any city and certainly not los angeles. >> well, you get to accompany it on the journey. certainly, john, because of all
6:26am
the shuttles that you have witnessed for us. thank you so much. >> sure. on the heels of a damning report, a former teammate of lance armstrong is speaking out about what he says happened behind closed doors. so i use visine. aah. it revives me, so i can get poked, winked, and -- ooh -- party all night long. only visine has hydroblend -- a unique blend of three moisturizers that soothe, restore, and protect to keep me comfortable for up to 10 hours. pirate party, here i co-- uh, honey? visine with hydroblend. find it in these visine products. olaf's pizza palace gets the most rewards of any small business credit card! pizza!!!!! [ garth ] olaf's small business earns 2% cash back on every purchase, every day! helium delivery. put it on my spark card! [ pop! ] [ garth ] why settle for less?
6:27am
great businesses deserve e most rewards! awesome!!! [ male announcer ] the spark business card from capital one. choose unlimited rewards with 2% cash back or double miles on every purchase, every day! what's in your wallet? anyone have occasional constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating? yeah. one phillips' colon health probiotic cap each day helps defend against these digestive issues with three strains of good bacteria. approved! [ female announcer ] live the regular life. phillips'.
6:28am
i honestly loved smoking, and i honestly didn't think i would ever quit. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke. it put me at ease that you could smoke on the first week. [ male announcer ] some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, tell your doctor if you have new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. with chantix and with the support system it worked. it worked for me. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you.
6:29am
with odor free aspercreme. powerful medicine relieves pain fast, with no odor. so all you notice is relief. aspercreme. allegations against this zumba instructor alexis wright are rocking the popular tourist town of kennebunk, maine. she is used of ak using her fitness studio for running a prostitution ring. she is charged with over 100 counts of prostitution